Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Emergency Generator Circuit

On 4/23/2011 2:22 PM, RonB wrote:

Main Needs a

3) Furnace (central heat NOT air conditioning - basement)

You need a way to connect the furnace to an extension cord. One of the
better ways is to install an "inlet" (a male plug that mounts like an
outlet) at the furnace. An added double pole switch connects the furnace
to either normal wiring or the inlet. An extension cord connects the
inlet to your emergency receptacles.

3) At the bottom of the wire/conduit I will install a fourplex box and
split the circuit into two 120v circuits with a standard two-plug
receptacle on each. This will serve items 1) through 4) above via
direct connection or extension cords. The longest cord run will be
15-20'

This circuit will be "dumb" and will not be hooked to the main house
circuit.

When needed, we will move the generator outside of the garage and use
a standard 4-blade, 30 amp, 30' generator cord to connect the
generator to the dumb circuit which will serve basement needs. The
fridge and lights will be served by a couple of the four standard 120v
circuits on the generator.

If your generator circuit breaker is not 20A you need 20A protection for
the basement receptacles.

I like the interlock from RBM. You would have to make sure the loads you
want are balanced on both legs of the panel. Check the cost and
convenience of different methods.

--
bud--