Posted to alt.home.repair

Default O.T. Solar power.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 11:43:28 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Apr 23, 5:08*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:55:39 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:
On Apr 23, 1:10*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:02:51 -0700, "chaniarts" wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 4/22/2011 9:44 AM, Mark wrote:

My grid linked solar power plant is up and running as of *yesterday.

It has *little display panel on the inverter where you can see the
cash being ratcheted in.
Caching,caching,caching. (cash register noise:-)

As well as supplying my own power through the day, I am supplying
several of my nieghbours. *My home is now a net energy exporter.
(And cash importer)

how about some numbers,

how many kW does your system produce peak?
how many kWh do you use a day?
how much did it cost you to install?
what subsidies did you get?
how long will it take you to break even?

Mark

Article in local paper about installing system in a church.
They said half the cost of $738,000 was subsidized by a state grant
and it would pay for itself in 10 years.

There was a similar article about a home owner doing it a few years
ago. Can't remember subsidy but they said it would take 30 years to
recoup.

if it wasn't for grants/subsidies, they would never pay for themselves as
the payback time is longer than the equipment lifetime.

Particularly in an area with the possibility of hail.

that said, the payback for my system is about 4.5 years at current
electrical rates; there is a planned increase in rates for later this year,
and we've had one every 2 years or so, so the payback time would get a bit
shorter.

As long as they don't drop the subsidies, perhaps. *You're still relying on
the grid as a "battery". *If everyone did this the grid would fail. *IOW, it's
a losing proposition.- Hide quoted text -

Small generating site distributed round the grid help matters by
reducing grid loading.

No, it *hurts* by reducing control. *If even a large fraction of the people
did it, the net cash flow would be out; not good for the infrastructure,
either.

The grid tie inverters are required to have an "anti-islanding"
feature..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-islanding

Dumbass.- Hide quoted text -

Whats the differnence beween 3Kw into the system and 3Kw out? Both
pose exactly the same control problems.

You really are clueless. The sun is pretty well synchronized across a wide
area. Loads aren't.