Posted to alt.home.repair
walter walter is offline

Default Replace T 12 tubes with T8 tubes?

Right.

Instead of fooling around with potentially incompatible ballasts and tubes,
I will replace all failed fixtures (failed ballasts) with new T-8 shop
lights. They cost only $ 17.98 at Lowes. If a fixture with a failed ballast
has any OK bulbs, I will save them and keep my T-12s going.

Thanks

--
www.rationality.net

"SBH" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"walter" wrote in message
As my 4 foot T12 fluorescent lights in my shoplights fail, can I replace
them with 4' T8 tubes? These shoplights all seem to have electronic
ballasts, consisting of a small, sealed plastic package about
2"x2"x1/2".

Thanks

Walter

** No, the 32 watt T8 lamps use a different ballast. Those really cheap
shop lights with the integral ballast, aren't designed for ballast
replacement

As long as they have the sockets and wires, an electronic ballast can be
added. Though, it might be cheaper to buy a whole fixture than a ballast.