Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Toshiba Satellite Pro M15-S405 PCB flux rot

On Apr 22, 4:46*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

*At
first, I thought that someone had spilled some liquid into the laptop.
Nope, because all the corrosion is BETWEEN the PCB and the plastic,
with nothing on top of the plastic. *The plastic covering was totally
clean.

Liquid might have landed on the PCB but then wicked between the
plastic sheet and the PCB, where surface tension held it in place.

*There's no corrosion in the area that's NOT under the
"protective" covering, so it seems whatever did the damage, was
volatile.

The surface area of any trapped liquid is relatively tiny.

The customer has 3 other identical laptops. *I just inspected them
(through the DVD slot), and found no corrosion. *

I'm not sure I'll be able to fix this one as the rotted traces in this
area are very tiny. *It's probably not worth the effort for a 9 year
old laptop.

The corrosion is not bridging the traces? Is the corrosion conductive?