Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Elec Car, BBC v Tesla

Huge wrote:

On 2011-04-22, DA wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...la-701863-.htm
DA wrote:

Donwill wrote:

Interesting little snippet I came across:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01...r_shenanigans/

The truth will out :-)
Don

Which truth? That UK (and everyone else) lacks charging stations?

Even if there were charging stations every 50 yards, the technology is
insufficiently mature. Or, in more, er, aggressive terms, it sucks.

But to be fair to a new technology, steam vans and early IC cars sucked
rocks through very tiny straws when they were invented.

I expect there were plenty of people who said stuff like: "I don't have to
get up 2 hours before I need to travel to heat up my horse" and "where will
I get a load of coal or cleanish water on my way to the next distant big
town" (when there was a fine infrastructure of inns with stabling
facilities).

That not to say I'm putting my bets on battery powered cars specifically -
there are other choices, but I do see electric cars coming to maturity at
some point, and the road to there can only be achieved by going through the
evolutionary period first like most other things.

I used to think bio-diesel was a good idea until it appeared to be the case
that it displaces too much food producing land.

I am a firm believer in nuclear power which tends to imply (mostly) that
electric cars are a good thing to be developing. As to whether battery
technology will get there (at least it is a well researched area thanks to
the proliferation of portable electronics) or whether it will be hydrogen
fuel cells or even remain with IC engines but powered by alcohol from algae
farms all remains to be seen. But someone has to be trying new stuff, and
like the first "personal computer" and "mobile phone", the prototypes will
expensive and sucky.

Cheers

Tim

--