Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Electricity meter question.

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 21, 10:30 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:

If I arrange to consume or in some way store that energy that I would
otherwise pay 11-12p per kWh for, it can be worth 45p to £1.25 per day.

Let's say a quid a day, because it's easier.

So how much did it cost? Any thoughts on the breakeven point?

Andy
If you are considering the breakeven point, then the incentive payments
dominate. So in addition to your rounded "quid a day" add a further 4
quid in incentives and exported power payments.
Then index link that at RPI ( the uplift used recently was 4.8%)
However, in practice it is quite difficult to manage domestic
consumption to follow the time profile of the sun's availability so
treat the "quid a day" as a bonus and just use the 4 quid a day

Lets say useful output for 200 days a year (a guess as I have no data yet)
So a minimum return of £800 per annum indexed and tax free.
Capital cost £8500 paid from savings that was otherwise earning 3/5ths
of f'all in the building society (taxed at 40% to boot)

Too many unknowns (RPI and electricity price inflation vs building
society interest rates) to work out a payback period but it should be
paid for in 10 years and the scheme contract runs for 25 years.

hth

Bob