Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default G-code help needed...

Bob La Londe wrote:

On 4/21/2011 4:45 PM, Pete C. wrote:

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:

On 4/21/2011 10:40 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Does anyone who has 3D capable CAD/CAM have the ambition to generate
some G-code for me? What I need is two sets of code for a half egg
shape, a positive and a negative to use in a press. The egg would be
approximately 3.5" diameter by a suitable length perhaps ~4.5" or
so. The pos/neg die clearance should be .020". Post processor for
Mach3.

Thanks,

Pete C.

I would help, but it sounds like you already have better qualified
helpers than me. Laminated hardwood stamp and die huh?
Interesting. I take it that it will be a modestly small production
run then?

I'm hoping oak will be sufficient (backed by 3/4" steel press plates)
to form relatively soft AL flashing at the 1.75" depth needed. If it
works well, I wouldn't expect to press more than a couple dozen
pieces or so.

Get some industrial thickness aluminum foil and press four or five layers
into the mold one layer at a time.
That's something your friend could do on his or her own, uding the core (
not drawm yet) as a pestle.

--
John R. Carroll

At about .015" the AL flashing material is relatively thin and soft yet
should be solid enough to be reasonably durable, hopefully it will
behave ok.

My other thought/comment/question.

I know they make aluminum cooking pans, but is there a particular
grade/alloy/type for food products like baking pans?

Not that I'm aware of. There would be at least two alloys used, one for
case goods and one for formed goods.