Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DougC DougC is offline

Default Curses, foiled again.....

On 4/21/2011 11:21 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
And motorcycle chain and sprockets won't work because???

Motorcycle chain would work, but car and motorcycle transmissions with
chains inside them don't use motorcycle chain. Silent chain is much
stronger, quieter and wears a lot longer.

Don't do what I did, buy a sprocket that needed 13 splines on the
shaft, unless you have good indexing and milling equipment.
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...48334136663058

I have a small mill/drill and a rotary table with B&S plates.
No shaper though....
I guess it would be possible to use the quill plunge and RT as a
"manual" shaper, at least for the ~2.5 inches of the quill's travel.

What I do /not/ have is a suitable attachment for shaping with the
mill.... (scribbles down another project...)

Bicycle sprockets are easier to mount:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...33382447691698

jsw\

I will probably just use some double-strand roller chain & sprockets
from McMaster-Carr. The places that sell silent chain all seem to be
commercial-sales-only, or too busy to answer an email.