Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default CFLs cause cancer (Really)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:18:59 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"...a group of scientists warned that [CFLs] contain cancer causing
chemicals. Their report advises that the bulbs should not be left on for
extended periods, particularly near someone’s head, as they emit poisonous
materials when switched on. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/84...chemicals.html

Or maybe it was cell phones that should not be near the head when switched
on.

Whatever.

Someone's thoughtful reply:

I've been searching the web for the actual study, or even an abstract.
I'd like to know the exact methodology of the test, the conditions of
the lab, if the instruments were properly calibrated, and most
critically, what controls were used.

Nothing.

Did he test only one source of light, or several?

Until we can see the actual published report, this has absolutely no
scientific value. This is cold-fusion.

But it shows an interesting response; people with scientific
backgrounds aren't going haywire over it, people with no real
training, no understanding of science or biology are going nuts.