Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Curses, foiled again.....

On Apr 21, 11:30*am, DougC wrote:
On 4/18/2011 10:07 AM, DougC wrote:

I may just buy the $50 timing gears & extra belt and see what I can do
with them first.... I can't imagine that the individual chain & gears
would cost me less than that.

I bought a timing chain kit & extra chain, as I knew the timing chain it
came with wouldn't be long enough for what I want.

Long story short:

1) Breaking and re-joining this stuff isn't really possible without the
equipment designed for it.

2) Chain that is the same size can have the leaves woven different. So
if you need ten feet and already have five feet on hand, you still need
to buy another ten feet (& a joining pin for the ten feet) since there's
no guarantee that whatever you by will link up properly with what you
already have. ....The two different chains I bought cannot be joined, as
the weave pattern of the links is different.

:/

And motorcycle chain and sprockets won't work because???

Don't do what I did, buy a sprocket that needed 13 splines on the
shaft, unless you have good indexing and milling equipment.
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...48334136663058

Bicycle sprockets are easier to mount:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...33382447691698

jsw