Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Wiring second kitchen

On 4/20/2011 2:49 PM, cln wrote:
My wife has ventured into cake baking and we are building a second
kitchen in a unfinished part of the basement. I did the framing but I
draw the line at electrical work so I will be getting this done by a
professional.

So I got my first quote on electrical work. The quote came steep at
$2600 so I descided to get a second quote...well 4 calls later, he
still has not establish a time for a quote. JUST the quote. can't wait
to line this guy up for the actuall word!! And to defend the first
guys, we might have to go with a second panel since the first one is
nearly full.

Whoever I pick, I still would like to do some of the work myself.
Rates in this region are $40-45+ an hour so there is no way that I'll
get someone to fish the wires and drill holes in the studs.

Here are my questions;
What wire do I use for the outlets above the countertop? How many
outlets can I have on each breaker? And what wire am I going to use
for lighting on one switch.

I will have; (by outlet I mean a standard 2 plug)
1 Oven and 1 refrigerator on deticated lines and breaker.
1 Outlet for a lift pump (GFCI or GFI).
Above the coutertops I will have 6 or 8 outlets. One of which will run
a 115v 11 amp Mixer.
I've read that a microwave should be on a seperate breaker?!? Is this
a nececity? it's barely used.

So for the (6-8) countertop outlets, can I put them all on one 14/3
wire? I want to fish the wire through so I can save a bit on the guys
labour.
Should I run two seperate wires to level things? so 3 outlets, one
breaker + 4 outlet, second breaker.

Lighting;
We will have 4 florecent lights and one bulb in closet area. All these
can go on a 14/2 with one switch. Correct?

Thanks for your help

Just my suggestion. I would install duplex outlets every 2-3 feet above
the counter tops. I would also use a separate circuit for each outlet.
That way you don't have to worry about whether the toaster and the
coffee maker are on the same circuit. To many people that will seem
like over kill, but I think from a convenience stand point it will
be well worth it.

Bill