Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring second kitchen

On 4/20/2011 3:58 PM RBM spake thus:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:24:37 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 4/20/2011 1:23 PM RBM spake thus:

"cln" wrote in message

My wife has ventured into cake baking and we are building a
second kitchen in a unfinished part of the basement. I did
the framing but I draw the line at electrical work so I
will be getting this done by a professional.

Here are my questions; What wire do I use for the outlets
above the countertop?

**You use 12 gauge, you need 2-20 amp circuits. You can run
2-12/2 cables or 1-12/3 cable. You can split the outlets
between the circuits any way you like.

Except that, as already noted here, you can't use 12/3 (meaning
a shared neutral) unless you put 2 circuits on an Edison
circuit. Which I would not recommend, given the potential
problems. And for what? Just spend the extra $0.25
(metaphorically speaking) and run the proper cables (2x 12/2).
Don't dick around with trying to minimize cabling.

**Using 12/3 in an Edison circuit is , and has always been a
proper way of doing it. As with anything else, done properly,
there are no "potential problems"

GFCIs won't work on a split neutral.

** Don't know what you're calling a split neutral, but they work fine on
Edison circuits

I think he meant to type "shared neutral", and I see no reason why they
wouldn't work with one either.

I still wouldn't do it, though; what's the point? to show off how clever
an electrician you are?

Oh, yeah, to save a couple buck's worth of cable ...

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang