Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Wiring second kitchen

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:19:23 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message
On Apr 20, 4:30 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"N8N" wrote in message

On Apr 20, 3:49 pm, cln wrote:

My wife has ventured into cake baking and we are building a second
kitchen in a unfinished part of the basement. I did the framing but I
draw the line at electrical work so I will be getting this done by a
professional.

So I got my first quote on electrical work. The quote came steep at
$2600 so I descided to get a second quote...well 4 calls later, he
still has not establish a time for a quote. JUST the quote. can't wait
to line this guy up for the actuall word!! And to defend the first
guys, we might have to go with a second panel since the first one is
nearly full.

Whoever I pick, I still would like to do some of the work myself.
Rates in this region are $40-45+ an hour so there is no way that I'll
get someone to fish the wires and drill holes in the studs.

Here are my questions;
What wire do I use for the outlets above the countertop? How many
outlets can I have on each breaker? And what wire am I going to use
for lighting on one switch.

I will have; (by outlet I mean a standard 2 plug)
1 Oven and 1 refrigerator on deticated lines and breaker.
1 Outlet for a lift pump (GFCI or GFI).
Above the coutertops I will have 6 or 8 outlets. One of which will run
a 115v 11 amp Mixer.
I've read that a microwave should be on a seperate breaker?!? Is this
a nececity? it's barely used.

So for the (6-8) countertop outlets, can I put them all on one 14/3
wire? I want to fish the wire through so I can save a bit on the guys
labour.
Should I run two seperate wires to level things? so 3 outlets, one
breaker + 4 outlet, second breaker.

Lighting;
We will have 4 florecent lights and one bulb in closet area. All these
can go on a 14/2 with one switch. Correct?

Thanks for your help

If it is a kitchen, you will need 2x 20A circuits minimum for the
countertops which means 12AWG wire. Also they need to be GFCI
protected so you can't use an Edison circuit, unless you use a 240V,
20A GFCI breaker @ the panel which kind of defeats the purpose of
having two circuits (that is, if one trips, they all go dead, as
opposed to pulling two separare 20A 120V ckts.on separate breakers
where if you trip one the other is unaffected) and is probably more
expensive than the normal practice of using regular 20A breakers and a
GFCI recep @ the first box on each circuit.

nate

If you use a 12/3 cable, it has to be connected to a double pole breaker,
but not a GFCI breaker. You can still use GFCI receptacles.

*scratches head*

I'm thinking that the shared neutral would cause issues w/ the GFCI
receps, but it's late enough in the afternoon that I can't brain too
good at the moment.

I suppose you could use an Edison ckt. to a box w/ 2x GFCI receps and
then run separate ckts. from there w/o issue, but you'd still need a
240V breaker. I'm thinking that you would *have* to run separate
12/2s from there. (ASSuming more than two receps in the kitchen,
which isn't a completely crazy assumption.)

nate

Personally, I prefer to use GFCI receptacles at every counter top location,
to keep any fault problems localized, they're certainly cheap enough these
days. But if you wanted to do it with just 2, you run the circuit to a large
junction box, install one GFCI there, with 2- 12/2 tails out to the next
locations. One tail off the load of that GFCI and one sharing the neutral
and the second circuit, which you run into another box, where you locate the
second GFCI, with a 12/2 tail out, off of it's load

Kitchen appliances use lots of power. I would consider putting each
outlet on a separate circuit. At least every other outlet should be
on a separate circuit.

The mixer alone is 1400 watts You could not use anything over 1000
watts at the same time on that circuit without tripping the breaker.
Two 1100 watt appliances at the same time on any circuit will be close
to tripping the breaker.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5406402...nces-use_.html
This web site was the first hit. It shows how much power some common
kitchen appliances use.