Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Field report on electrical push connectors

On 4/20/2011 11:46 AM, Red Green wrote:
Larry wrote in news:651fad9c-4486-4408-a29a-
:

On Apr 19, 11:50 pm, wrote:
nuts. With only wire strippers to handle, no fumbling with extra
pliers was nice.

Um... What are you using pliers for? Might want to check the
instructions on the box of wire nuts...

In this case f*k the instructions.

Remove more insulation than required. Twist them together clockwise with
linemans pliers. Cut off to proper length with the linemans pliers. All are
proper and same length. Wirenut. Now you have a connection. Not
instructions from the marketing department.

Only my unprofessional opinion but when you remove a wirenut from the above
connection method, wires should not fall apart. This only meaning the
completed connection was safe and reliable. Not that if a wire nut were to
fall off the twisting was a backup.

But what would the problem be if they "fall apart" when you remove the
wirenut? The wirenut is providing the holding force.

I have never seen a failure when you hold all of the ends parallel and
simply twist on a good quality wirenut.