Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring second kitchen

On 4/20/2011 2:24 PM RBM spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 4/20/2011 1:23 PM RBM spake thus:

"cln" wrote in message

My wife has ventured into cake baking and we are building a
second kitchen in a unfinished part of the basement. I did the
framing but I draw the line at electrical work so I will be
getting this done by a professional.

Here are my questions; What wire do I use for the outlets above
the countertop?

**You use 12 gauge, you need 2-20 amp circuits. You can run
2-12/2 cables or 1-12/3 cable. You can split the outlets between
the circuits any way you like.

Except that, as already noted here, you can't use 12/3 (meaning a
shared neutral) unless you put 2 circuits on an Edison circuit.
Which I would not recommend, given the potential problems. And for
what? Just spend the extra $0.25 (metaphorically speaking) and run
the proper cables (2x 12/2). Don't dick around with trying to
minimize cabling.

**Using 12/3 in an Edison circuit is , and has always been a proper way of
doing it. As with anything else, done properly, there are no "potential
problems"

Well, that's true for the work that *you're* doing. But what about the
doofus who comes in after you, years later, and decides to switch around
cables in the breaker panel to make room for another circuit, and ends
up putting you properly-wired Edison circuit hots on the same side of
the service entrance?

It's been known to happen ...

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang