Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Fishel Larry Fishel is offline

Default Field report on electrical push connectors

On Apr 20, 11:46*am, Red Green wrote:
Only my unprofessional opinion but when you remove a wirenut from the above
connection method, wires should not fall apart. This only meaning the
completed connection was safe and reliable. Not that if a wire nut were to
fall off the twisting was a backup.

A properly sized wire nut, installed properly is never coming loose on
its own. The most likely reason for most people to take one off
intentionally would be to remove/replace one of the wires, in which
case you would want them to separate (though you should probably be
cutting the ends off anyway if you're going to reconnect). Also, when
properly installed, the contact area between the wires will be far
greater than the cross sectional area of one wire.

In reality, my original point was just that you were giving your
extra, unnecessary step as a reason why wire nuts were more trouble to
install than the push connectors...

I am certainly not a professional either, just some schmuk who twisted
wires for years (decades) before happening across a description of how
to do it properly in an electrical manual and took some time to looks
at how they really work...