Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Electricity meter question.

Bob Minchin wrote:
I have one of the relatively modern electricity meters with a digital
display and when I went to read it today to send in the reading, the
display was reading alternately the power consumed and "rEd".
Additionally a red led is permanently on.

The make of the meter is 'Ampy' - Black and about 100 x 150 x 40mm

Can anyone confirm what this means please?

I have recently had a solar PV system fitted which can feed power back
into the grid. The meter was not changed to accommodate this (instead I
have my own generation meter) so I wonder if it is just an indcation
that the meter has tried to run backwards which would normally happen if
someone was trying to fiddle the meter reading but in my case just shows
the Solar PV has been generating more power than I have been consuming.

TIA

Bob

I know it is bad form to reply to your own posts but it might help someone.

I have found the answer here
http://universalmeterservices.co.uk/...mages/5193.doc

The red light either flashes every 1 watt-hr consumed or stays on
continuously when the power being consumed is below a preset level.

The display flashing rEd is showing "reverse energy detection" which
would normally mean fraudulent use but in the case of power export from
microgeneration schemes (PV, wind etc) is legitimate.

In my case, when the light is on continuously it means that I am
generating more power than I'm using - this is confirmed by the display
reading now being identical to the one I took 8 hours ago.

According to the manual, the meter has a separate register measuring
exported power although the reading is not displayed.

Bob