Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default More concrete paving questions

Still getting estimates on paving the remainder of my driveway. Latest
concrete guy comes in and says they no longer use wire mesh, it ends up
rusting and then popping the concrete, so they mix a fiber mesh right
into
the concrete before they pour it.

If you've driven down the Interstate lately, you will probably have noticed
the green rebar. It is coated with a substance that helps keep out the
moisture. In the life span of a pour, the rebar will rot out before the
concrete does. The man is right about the use of wire and rebar in steel.
It's just that it takes so long that like you say, you'll be in a nursing
home by then. I'd study a little more about the mesh vs. rebar. A 3,100 sf
job is pretty large for either asphalt or concrete. Pick the right one.
You don't want to be standing there a few years from now, the thing going to
hell, and saying, "Gee, I wish I would have spent another couple of grand."
Study to make sure you get the right sack mix for your climate, study your
substrate and geology, then make your pick based on knowledge.

Good Luck.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com