Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Field report on electrical push connectors

On Apr 19, 11:50*pm, Joe wrote:
Brought home first boxes of 2, 4 and 6 Wago push connectors. The name
is a bit cutesy, they call them Wall Nuts, letting us know that they
replace wire nuts, I suppose.
First use was a quad outlet with GFCI and conventional receptacle in a
regular metal box. Used 12 gauge and 20A devices. With the GFCI things
get really crowded since they are rather large. Used stranded to
connect the receptacle to the load, and push connectors as needed.
The connectors needed a fair push to insert, and once in place, the
view of the installation was nice to confirm proper placement. Over
all the hook up time was maybe a third shorter than standard wire
nuts. With only wire strippers to handle, no fumbling with extra
pliers was nice. Left plenty of room in the box for the nest of wires
and connectors.
I'll probably use a lot more of these than wire nuts, so it may be a
while before I toss the latter.

Joe

These look like something I saw at Lowes. Don't know if they are the
same but the ones at Lowes have a connection no different than a back-
stab receptacle. A thin piece of metal to make the connection by
wedging against the wire. Just because it has UL on the label doesn't
mean it is a good product, DAGS 'ideal purple wire nuts'.

http://www1.futureelectronics.com/do..._VE00-2500.pdf

Sure it is easier and faster but is it as good as a wire nut that
forces a large portion of the conducters together? I think not...