Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default "Safety-Screw" Removal ?

Absolutely. I had to beg the woman on the phone at the Amana parts
counter for a schematic of my Model-2, and convince her I knew what I
was doing and wouldn't kill myself. Even then I think she gave me
instructions on putting the metal microwave gasket back in exactly the
same place it was to begin with. (But you don't have to touch that.)

When my Monkey Ward uWave oven finally failed after 25 years of faithful
service, I did replace it, functinally, with an over the stove/hood
replacement uWave.

Anyway, I was curious about what when wrong.

Since the replacement was in service, I didn't go out of my way to be "nice"
to the sheet metal and I found a few places where, indeed, I decided I had
to break a spot weld to get things apart.

I don't remember the details but I found that what killed my UWave was a
$.25 SCR. For some stupid reason I have "saved" many of the parts to
include the magnets (fun to use around the house). It had some pretty
good contactors in good shape. The control panel still functions so if I
ever want to control something that sort of wants the timing of a uWave I'm
in good shape!

I think I still have the transformer and the voltage doubler that powers the
uWave tube. I have asked on several groups whether anyone can think of any
SANE use for any of these but I haven't gotten any answers.