Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Question About A Digital Thermostat

On Apr 19, 7:43*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:50:04 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:02*am, Erik wrote:
In article
,

*Ron wrote:
Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Just guessing here... is 72° the 'target', or desired temperature, as
opposed to the current actual ambient room temperature?

Erik

It says in the manual that I have, that the room temp can be set to -/
+ 3 degrees. But, that doesn't answer my question. Does it need to be
wired in order for it to show the actual room temp? Like I said, with
the batteries only, it is stuck on 72 degrees. I don't want to waste
my time installing it if the room temp is supposed to be displayed by
the batteries only.

* Don't know FOR SURE on that thermostat, but for MANY the battery
just holds the settings and runs the LCD display, while the actual
"thermostat" runs off the controll transformer.

Well, I would hook it up and see, but the wires coming out of the wall
are VERY short. Changing out my thermostat is a real PITA.