Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Interior Painting / Drywall Texture Questions

On Apr 19, 5:22*pm, CoolWebs wrote:

My girlfriend and I are considering painting some rooms in my house,
but we want it to look professional. Here are some of the problems we
have:

There are various different textures, repairs, patches in the walls.
In order to get the most consistent look, should I use an orbital
sander on all of the wall area or try to add texture to repaired/
sanded areas to get them to match the surrounding texture? Please give
any and all advice. Thanks.

If the house was built after the mid 70's there won't be any lead
paint on the walls so it'd be safe to sand. If earlier, it's not.

The best approach in such situations, and assuming that wall integrity
is there and there are not large areas of loose plaster, etc., is to
scrape some and skim coat the wall with joint compound. The joint
compound can be tweaked to match the surrounding texture. There
should be videos on YouTube about matching drywall texture to get you
started in the right direction.