Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flywheel Replacement - Tecumseh engine

I'm pretty crude. Take a four way lug wrench, pull the
center nut and washer. Stick a big pry bar under the edge of
the wheel, and beat the center shaft with either a brass
hammer, or a knock off tool made for Tecumseh. The flywheel
pops up after a while, and the new one goes on much easier.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Kraus" wrote in
message
m...
How difficult is it to replace a flywheel on a Tecumseh
vertical shaft
engine and are any special tools needed? We have one which
has a couple of
bad sections of gear teeth (used by an electric starter). I
have no idea
why as the starter gear is plastic.

I'm presuming the gear teeth are integral to the flywheel
and therefore
metal, unless they somehow add a ring around the outside
with the teeth on
it. (That would help explain how it could be damaged.)

I can go fetch the engine model number if need be though I
think most of
these engines are very similar. It's on a Lawn-Boy
walk-behind mower.