Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Photos of the Day: U.S. Robots Enter Damaged Reactors, PreventHuman Losses

Wes wrote:
Then there is this:

Definition of ROBOT
1: a machine that looks like a human being ...

Looks are not relevant to me, but probably are to some people.

2: a device that automatically performs complicated often repetitive tasks

3: a mechanism guided by automatic controls

Ah, "industrial robots". Often seen on auto assembly lines. Moving,
placing, welding. But mainly these are really CNC machines. If they
are without feedback, they really are no different than a CNC machining
center. But if part of the task is finding an object, say, then they're
borderline robotic.

Current widespread techology is a not an autonomous machine

This is semantics, of course. My main problem with calling CNC machines
"robots" is then what do you call an autonomous machine?

Bob