Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default Dimming street lights?

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:57:37 +0100, Dave wrote:
What I might be inclined to call parking lights would be *only* a light
front/back on the side nearest the road (drivers side if I understand
all the stuff from the HC, posted here), controllable by e.g. the
indicator stalk, and *no* other lights.

I just checked my car (2008 C4). Sidelights but no parking lights
AFAICT.

In the seventies, I had a Rover 3500 that had side lights. Turn the
switch, to the right, from the off position and the lights would come on
progressively. Turn it to the left from off and the right front and rear
lights would come on.

My Triumphs were like that, too - one click of the switch gave me parking
lights on one side only, next click was sidelights, next was headlights.
I can't remember for sure, but I think that behaviour may have
disappeared with the later ones, suggesting that it wasn't necessary on
cars built after the mid-70s.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...chedule/2/made

calls "side lights/parking lights" position indicators.
there is actually no reference to side lights or parking lights, there are
side position indicators but few cars have these.
Other regulations state that if lights are required where you park you must
have two red at the rear and two white at the front on a car. i.e. the
position indicators.