Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default removal of vinyl flooring to put down ceramic tiles

On Apr 19, 2:37*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
Leave the paper, put down 1/4" Hardibacker boards, then put the tiles
on top.

That's my vote.

To the OP (rlz) who wrote,

"B: *I'm going to put down cerarim tiles in a mortar bed on top of the
subfloor, is there any problem with just putting the mortar on top of
this paper composit material?"

By "mortar bed", do you mean the old fashioned 1"-2" mortar beds that used
to be used for abthroom sub floors etc?

Man, I hope not! Isn't that why they invented cement board?

I tore up a bathroom floor that had a 2"+ mortar bed. What a mess!

Interesting find when I did that:

The 1" tiles right in front of the sink had started to pop. I assumed
that since it was the highest traffic area, they had just given out.
Once I tore up the floor I discovered what was probably the root
cause.

Everywhere in the house (as far as I know) the floor joists are 16"
OC. However, from some reason, directly in front of the sink there was
a space of 24" between the 2 joists. So, basically, there was no
support under the sub-floor in the very spot where people had been
standing for 30 years.

If the builder had to make up for an error or something by spacing 2
joists 24" OC, why choose such a high traffic spot?