Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Flywheel Replacement - Tecumseh engine

On Apr 19, 12:29*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Steve Kraus wrote:
How difficult is it to replace a flywheel on a Tecumseh vertical shaft
engine and are any special tools needed? *We have one which has a
couple of bad sections of gear teeth (used by an electric starter).
I have no idea why as the starter gear is plastic.

I'm presuming the gear teeth are integral to the flywheel and
therefore metal, unless they somehow add a ring around the outside
with the teeth on it. *(That would help explain how it could be
damaged.)

I can go fetch the engine model number if need be though I think most
of these engines are very similar. *It's on a Lawn-Boy walk-behind
mower.

Hold the flywheel up with a screwdriver/pry bar, and rap the end of the
crankshaft with a hammer. *If the threads on the crankshaft go to the end,
you'll want to screw on a coupling nut so as not to mash the threads (they
sell a tool for this if you insist).

Jon

....or you can put the flywheel nut back-on (75%) and hit that instead.