Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Plywood butt joint for a finished wall

On Apr 19, 10:17*am, Borrall Wonnell wrote:
I'm building an indoor climbing wall out of 3/4" plywood in a finished
space. The wall will be well-secured to beefed-up framing. *How do I
avoid rough edges/splinters, particularly at the butt joints between
plywood sheets?

My joint finishing options a
1) Do nothing, simply risk splinters (it's decent grade plywood)
2) Tape/mud as you would with drywall (I doubt it would hold up)
3) Leave a 1/8" gap and use some T-molding between sheets (not exactly
the look I'm going for).

Any other ideas? *Besides NOT building a climbing wall, that is? *

Paint it. Any sealant with some body will help bind the edges. But
if you're looking for something tougher you'll have to cover it with
something else. One possibility would be some sort of tape, such as a
roll of the tape used for flashing roofs and windows.