Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_2_] Sunworshipper[_2_] is offline

Default A good Car Talk Puzzler

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:48:18 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

How many of you are good enough at high powered math to solve this
week's puzzzler?

It only took me about 10 minutes. G

Here 'tis:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/puzzl...116/index.html

Don't reply with the answer, just tell me how long it took YOU to "get it".

Jeff

I figured the parabola equation was needed and couldn't figure on how
to plot it in the real world to make trough parabolic mirrors years
ago. I assumed the hanging chain was a parabola. Thinking back, I
wonder if that was the reason that the mirror was off a bit. I tryed
to fix it while testing the curve with a plumb bob and sighting down
the string, but started exponentially getting further off so I went
back to the original.

Things that make ya go hmmm.

SW