Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default A good Car Talk Puzzler

"Califbill" wrote in message
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. 3.70...

"Califbill" fired this volley in
m:

Reply: Actually 2x the thickness of the rope. Touching, the rope
could not loop between them.

Actually touching. Any thickness to the rope would prevent the bottom of
the catenary from being 75' down. It has to be a one-dimensional rope -
length only, no thickness.

LLoyd
Touching, could not have a loop between.

I over-thought this one. Any real rope is going to have a curve at the
bottom, where the direction reverses, so it will never be quite 75' down.

However, then I realized that if the problem were that tricky, there is no
way that any distance between poles would allow the rope to reach a point
75' down. So I gave up. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress