Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Dimming street lights?

"jgharston" wrote in message
damduck wrote:
I could hear steps coming close and turned to see a chap
walking up faster than me,stepped to one side to let him pass and trod
on his small dog which I had not seen.

A few days ago I was driving home quite late and suddenly somebody
dressed all in black walking their black dog stepped out of the
black shadows and onto the road in front of me.

Both instance where more appropriate dress was required. I have lived in the
countryside for most of my life only moving into a town 7 years ago so
street lighting is still a novelty to me. Our little town could quite easily
turn off half of them. I grew up with the nearest street light 6 miles away
in the nearest town and subsequently always dress in light colours when out
and about at night.

As an instructor with the ATC it always amused me that youngsters that grew
up in the towns were amazed how much they could see at night with torches
switched off. Once they had allowed their eyes to adjust to the moonlight
that is. On the other hand a townie pal of mine was equally shocked that he
simply could not see where to walk on the way back from the local pub to our
cottage in Arkengarthdale on a cloud covered night. I had offered him a
torch but he poo-pood the idea of needing one!

Mike