Posted to alt.home.repair

Default foam vs. fiber insulation

"aemeijers" wrote

I thought the requirement to cover it was only within the living area, or
around ignition sources? I'd love to hang a foam panel curtain from the
sill plate in my abandoned barely-accessible garage bay in the basement,
but nobody around here sells the fire-rated stuff.

ALL foam made for insulation and construction is made from "modified grade"
material. It must meet the specifications or cannot be sold.
I must be in compliance with ASTM C578
Typical specification:
1.01 INSULATION
A. Foam-Control EPS in compliance with ASTM C578.
B. Foam-Control EPS with flame spread of less than 25 and a smoke developed
index of less than 450