Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default Square peg in a round hole

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:07:41 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:
Are there holes pre-drilled (I assume so) in the PCB for mounting the
connector body?

Yes, I assume they've come from a standard footprint as neither of the
connectors use them. Why?

Oh... hmm. Well, I was wondering if you could solder round vertical pins
to the PCB, then solder a square-pinned connector to those - it'd hardly
be elegant, but better than re-doing a bunch of PCBs (and quick, too).

My concern would be mechanical strength, though (even if power cabling
was plugged in and supposedly never removed), so I really wouldn't trust
it unless there was also a way to physically anchor the connector to the
PCB.

As a second possiblity, maybe an off-board, in-line connector with short
flying leads to the PCB?

Just as an aside, the OP hasn't actually said what these PCBs are for..
if its military or medical stuff then most of the solutions proposed would
be unacceptable.
It should be noted that we used press fit connectors that had square(is)
pins and it may be the case that this is the case here, if so insertion
tools should be available to fit them.

If its a bit of consumer stuff then drilling it out and soldering both sides
appears to be pretty obvious if the pads are big enough to form a good joint
without the through plating.

Another possibility is to square the holes with a square pin in a press if
its just a small error.