Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default removal of vinyl flooring to put down ceramic tiles

On Apr 18, 8:49*pm, Suzy Watson wrote:
On Apr 18, 7:18*pm, bob haller wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:58*pm, rlz wrote:

I'm am remodeling my 30+ year old kitchen and am having an issue with
the removal of the flooring. *It originally had a sheet of vinyl
flooring, in which someone added on top a layer of 1 ft square stick-
on tiles. *I am trying remove both layers to get down to the
subfloor. *Unforunately, when I try to remove the sheet vinyl, only
the top section comes off, leaving a paper composit material glued to
the floor. *Basically the sheet vinyl comes apart, so I can only
remove the top of the vinyl, thus leaving this paper composit
material.

two questions:
A: *Is there an easy way to remove this paper composite from the
subfloor?

B: *I'm going to put down cerarim tiles in a mortar bed on top of the
subfloor, is there any problem with just putting the mortar on top of
this paper composit material?

Rob

use a circular saw to cut the underlayment all the way thru, if
necessary replace the sub floor/

if theres ANY motion in the floor at all the tile will crack!

Ceramic tile is forever, do the prep work properly!

2nd that. *Whichever way you look at it, this job is going to be much
harder than you first thought, but in the long run doing it properly
is much easier than shortcutting. *You don't say what you are using to
remove the vinyl, but I would at least try it with a heavy duty
scraper (one of the heavy metal poles with a sharp edge) first.
However you get it up, you are going to have to go with a proper base
(google it) on top of the plywood anyway, unless you want to be
dealing with cracked tiles and joints for the rest of your time with
this floor.- Hide quoted text -

be aware the tile and adhesive may contain asbestos...

at least clean the sub floor, secure it very well, then put down
concrete board, and cement edges.

theres a layer you can add forget the name, that prevents cracks.

with ceramic tile proper prep prevents doing the entire job over again