Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default removal of vinyl flooring to put down ceramic tiles

On Apr 18, 7:58*pm, rlz wrote:
I'm am remodeling my 30+ year old kitchen and am having an issue with
the removal of the flooring. *It originally had a sheet of vinyl
flooring, in which someone added on top a layer of 1 ft square stick-
on tiles. *I am trying remove both layers to get down to the
subfloor. *Unforunately, when I try to remove the sheet vinyl, only
the top section comes off, leaving a paper composit material glued to
the floor. *Basically the sheet vinyl comes apart, so I can only
remove the top of the vinyl, thus leaving this paper composit
material.

two questions:
A: *Is there an easy way to remove this paper composite from the
subfloor?

B: *I'm going to put down cerarim tiles in a mortar bed on top of the
subfloor, is there any problem with just putting the mortar on top of
this paper composit material?

Rob

use a circular saw to cut the underlayment all the way thru, if
necessary replace the sub floor/

if theres ANY motion in the floor at all the tile will crack!

Ceramic tile is forever, do the prep work properly!