Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Request transistor cross reference

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:04:28 -0400, "Barry" wrote:

Welcome back. You were missed.

To someone who understands these specs, and knows which ones are critical
to the application, this is all that is needed. To someone who wants to
buy a NTE "drop-in" part, I suggest you go to one of the Asian parts
suppliers who advertise that they can get the original part.

NTE does not list a substitute. I've dealt with some of the "obsolete
parts" vendors. Figure on about a $200 minimum, whether you want 1
part or 100 parts. When I once absolutely had to buy from one of
these vendors, the negotiation to delivery ordeal took about 4 weeks.

I found a part rated at 1000 BVces, 450 BVceo, 30 amps, and 250 watts.
It has a f(sub)T of 10 MHz and a Vce(sat) of 2 volts at 20 amps.
Now YOU tell me if this will work or not... Both Mouser and Digi-Key
found this part.
Barry WA4VZQ

I thought this was going to be easy. I was wrong.

From the original data sheet at:
http://www.datasheets.org.uk/T30G40*-datasheet.html
With a saturation voltage of 2V at 30A, it's certainly an IGBT. Lots
to chose from on Digikey, but not in the package shown. I'll guess
the package is a TO-264 or TO-3PL
www.fairchildsemi.com/products/discrete/pdf/to264.pdf
I couldn't find a close match with the correct package on Digikey or
Mouser. All the TO-264 package devices are higher power, with higher
saturation voltages. Some compromises will need to be made here.

For those that have never used the Digikey parts search, it's best to
explain how to use it by example. Start here for discrete IGBT's.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=1376382&k=igbt
Under "Package", highlight "TO-264".
Hit the "Apply Filters" and notice how the choices are reduced.
Notice that under "Ic Max", there's no choice for "30A". Pick "40A"
and again hit "Apply Filters". You should see 2 devices listed,
neither of which is suitable. Try some of the other TO-264 package
variations for more trial and error. Eventually, it finds:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=IXSK40N60BD1-ND
in a TO-264AA package, which is not an exact substitute, but might
work. Someone please check my guesswork. If you look at the data
sheet, it shows a gate instead of a base lead, but if you read the
fine print, it's really an IGBT, and not a FET.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D