Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Photos of the Day: U.S. Robots Enter Damaged Reactors, Prevent Human Losses

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Peeve: calling those things "robots". They're remote controlled
vehicles. If I was a real robot, I'd be ****ed by the pretentiousness
of those RC's.

Bob

I have maintained, programmed and troubleshot real robots for a couple decades. The
yellow ones made by Fanuc previously by GMFanuc. While there is fancy electronics,
wonderful mechanical engineering, they can't do much more than do the same thing time
after time. Our current 710i does have vision, it can orient a part so we can insert it
into a lathe chuck.

What they need at the reactor site is robot technology in the form of being able to
articulate and manipulate end effectors while guided by a human via a video link.

Btw, Roomba builds EOD robots, they are not a joke.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller