Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Square peg in a round hole

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:07:41 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:
Are there holes pre-drilled (I assume so) in the PCB for mounting the
connector body?

Yes, I assume they've come from a standard footprint as neither of the
connectors use them. Why?

Oh... hmm. Well, I was wondering if you could solder round vertical pins
to the PCB, then solder a square-pinned connector to those - it'd hardly
be elegant, but better than re-doing a bunch of PCBs (and quick, too).

My concern would be mechanical strength, though (even if power cabling
was plugged in and supposedly never removed), so I really wouldn't trust
it unless there was also a way to physically anchor the connector to the
PCB.

As a second possiblity, maybe an off-board, in-line connector with short
flying leads to the PCB?

cheers

Jules