Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimming street lights?

Jethro wrote:
On Apr 18, 12:30 pm, The Natural Philosopher

If everybody worked from home, we would save 20% of the nations electricity.

Which leads back to my "if it *really* mattered" argument. Is there
*any* government push for homeworking (tax breaks for companies,
etc) ? Bear in mind that taking just a small %age of cars off the road
in rush-hour has a remarkable effect on congestion. The fact nothing
is done, reinforces my suspicion, that we are nowhere near the end of
the world that some would have us believe.

No sadly it reinforces my suspicion that the system of government is
totally staffed by political common purpose idiots with chips on their
shoulders and axes to grind that the last thing they consider doing, or
have the ability to do, is to change the country for the better.

Remember political survival consists not on doing the right thing, but
in *appearing* to do the right thing, up to the point where the whole
thing implodes.

I give it about 2 years.

Let's face it, switching off street lamps, even if it leads to accidents
and crime, is easily and cheaply countered by saying that if they are
that scared people should stay at home after dark.

In the same way you might say 'here is a lake. If you cant swim, don't
go in'