Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default Dimming street lights?

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .
dennis@home wrote:

A untapped revenue stream, better phone the council so they can have
someone go around and issue tickets.

I'm not likely to do that, but I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested a
graveyard shift of wardens.

BTW its illegal to park the wrong way around with the street lights *on*.

Not according to the highway code, I checked when I noticed the lighting
changes ...

"You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against
the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised
parking space."

So you can't park the wrong way around if its on the road and not in a
parking space. A parking space is a defined area and not some arbitrary
place on the road.

"All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road
or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph"

That is true, even if there are street lights you can't park without parking
lights if the speed limit is above 30 mph.
There are other restrictions that require you to use parking lights that you
appear to have missed, like close to a junction.

Its common sense really, the car has reflectors at the rear so the rear must
be illuminated by the headlights of the cars. Its also why lights are
required at junctions as the headlights of the approaching car won't be
reflected properly.

Its because drivers are pretty stupid that they have to make it a law in the
first place, they can't think for themselves so need rules.

I'm sure there's plenty of scope for you to claim those are weasel words
and to remind us that the HC isn't the law, so feel free.

They are not weasel words and are true, you may have interpreted them
incorrectly.