Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Importance of water filter in air line

On Apr 17, 7:21*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:07:07 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in
:

I do not think putting a filter between the tank and the hose is such
a problem but that is *not* what the manufacturers of air tools
recommend.

What the hell did you read to get that, Mike?

ALL air tools call for "filtered, dried, and (sometimes) lubricated air"..

I have filters (plural) on my compressor. *In line, they create a total
line drop of 4psi at 9 SCFM. *If you need more air than that, you need a
big scroll rig.

Where DID you come up with that?

OK, I can see how the original statement can be misinterpreted. The
air tool (nailer) manufacturers' manuals (Paslode, Bynford etc.) do
not object to a filter between the tank and the hose but insist *in
addition* on a water filter close to the air tool (see the original
post). The first one is no problem, the second one is a hassle. Hence
this thread.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC- Hide quoted text -

If you're on a roof with a long hose, you could probably get enough
pressure/temperature drop to get some condensation, even with a water
trap on the compressor. The traps only get the droplets, not vapor.
If you add a dessicant drier unit, like paint shops use, then you can
get the vapor, too, but not really needed for air tools. Usually it's
dry enough here that I blow out dust when I trip the tank drain
stopcock, but it has been humid enough that at times that I get water
out of a DA exhaust. I have a trap on the compressor, didn't have
more than a couple of drops when the DA was dripping. As far as a
hassle, I usually run short whips on the tools, a trap and oiler in-
line with a male and female quick-connect doesn't take up that much
room and don't really affect handling of the tools. They don't have
to be plugged directly into the tools' handles, after all.

Stan