Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney questions

On Apr 17, 2:33*pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 17, 9:15*am, Michael B wrote:

Hey, with no fireplaces along the way, I'd make
the chimney go away. Even if it had to be replaced
by a couple of vent pipes, that may barely have to
go a foot beyond the roof penetration..
Got a roof replacement coming up anytime soon?

On Apr 16, 7:43*am, "
wrote:

Along the lines of Michael's sizing issues, if you replace the boiler
*with a direct vent, the chimney will be too
large for just the water heaters and will need to have a chimney liner
installed. *Just some factors to keep in mind as you go through the
options.

Please show me a Condensing Steam Boiler with Low Temp exhaust, I
looked.- Hide quoted text -

I agree with your observation. When I suggested considering
a high efficiency direct vent, I was thinking hot water, not
steam. You're right, in the home class units, looks like there
is no such steam animal. Which I guess makes sense
because to extract all the heat out, it has to go to someplace
colder. With the higher the temp of the fluid, eg hot air, water,
steam, the harder it gets to do that.