Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_6_] Meat Plow[_6_] is offline

Default minidisc player shows track but won't play tracks

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:58:24 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:23:19 -0700, a7yvm109gf5d1 wrote:

On Apr 16, 12:10 pm, willywainwright wrote:
hello, I have a number of sony minidisc players that suddenly won't
play the track for no apparent reason. I've tried batteries and plug
in power with no difference. Powers up fine, shows spinning icon in
window, track number shows but I can't get the units to play the
disc. I've tried it in all positions, even upside down and sideways
but still no playing of disc
any ideas?
willy

1) Try lens cleaner disc.
2) Now toss the whole shebang in the garbage 3) Get a free cell
phone, even they'll come with a MP3 player.

Minidisc is over. It's dead, finished, kaput. And I'm speaking as
someone who bought a MZ-1 when they first came out.

I own a Sharp S60 and a Sony NetMD. Both record wonderfully with a
stereo condenser mic, the Sony will load songs from a PC in about 4
minutes. Also has an FM tuner. Minidisc isn't dead for me. I also own
32 gig Ipod Touch. I use all three frequently.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

I use a Sharp MD R60 once a month recording and transcribing public
talks and more
testingly Q&A from the audience in acoustically about the worst possible
environment.
Rarely do I miss a word if I do it is some obscure technical term. Two
basic electret mikes on fine multistrand cable and rubber sleeving
plugged directly into the recorder and acoustically decoubled body by
use of a "Benny" between it and the table. I'm always amazed by the
clarity of sound.

The feature on the MD-SR60 I like the most is the sync mode for
recording. This allows the SR60 to start and stop recording automatically
by sensing audio. It's very useful for surveillance or recording from
my police and public service scanner. No dead spaces in between activity.
I used it a couple weeks ago to record the local airport air traffic
control inbound traffic frequency and caught an inbound flight having
difficulty verifying the locked position of it's nose gear. One thing it
lack though is the extended modes of the Sony as it use a couple extra
MDLP modes to increase record/playback times the Sharp can't handle.
The modes are fairly useless for music but for voice recording they are
more than sufficient. This is the MZ-NF610 Type-s Net Med TV/Weather/FM/
AM model. Advantages over the Sharp is it can load discs at several times
normal speed using a USB cable. It also has some good playback EQ modes
for better bass and treble. And the wired remote has an LCD screen on it.
I use it to listen to Sirius radio throughout the house when I'm doing
chores. I recently added an indoor Sirius receiver because sometimes in
bad weather the signal from my Sirius radio in the SUV is interrupted.
That's understandable since the signal has to pass through a garage roof
to get to the receiver.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse