Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why would a gas boiler make soot?

On 17/04/2011 12:44, YAPH wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:29:36 +0100, Nick wrote:

Problem is that it is still making soot in appreciable quantities.
Flakes up to about 10mm across.
Have spoken to the engineer again and he is a bit stumped.

My only guesses are (1) the boiler is now working more efficiently and
is burning off residue from the H/E or (2) that the burner unit is worn,
burning improperly, and creating soot.

If (1) I hope the problem will go away, but it has now been 3 months.

Any ideas please?

Soot is a warning sign of incomplete combustion and your warning sign
that the boiler is probably producing carbon monoxide in lethal
quantities. If you had a large dog foaming at the mouth would you leave
it and hope the problem would go away?
Get it sorted.
Now.
Call 0800 111 999 and tell them about it.

I don't know about this particular boiler, but I've often wondered
whether there is any great risk to poor combustion with most boilers
these days, as they are generally room sealed and under negative
pressure due to the exhaust fan, therefore they should be unable to leak
CO into the room.

I would have thought that the main worry would be increased fuel bills
and gradually reducing heat output.

SteveW