Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Shop Safety

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

Yale must have some real morons in admin...turning students loose,
ALONE AND UNSUPERVISED, in a machine shop? Employees attend safety
lectures? Even the few kids nowadays with experience with power
tools, a lathe is a whole 'nother animal.

She was not a "kid." She was a graduate student in Astronomy, presumably
around 23-25 years old.

We have been round and round the real issue here, and no one has brought it
up. She had the "right" to be stupid. To wear her hair long in a dangerous
environment. I don't see anyone standing up for her saying she had the
right to do what she did. This great country has been fostered now for
hundreds of years by each person's "rights" to do this and that. We must
allow people the "right" to exercise their "rights" even if their "rights"
end up getting them killed. We do it all the time, with junkies, fast
drivers, overeaters, lots of people.

It's just too bad that we have taken this to such an extreme, so far away
from the intent of those who wanted to guarantee us our "rights".

Ahh, the liberal bent.

Steve, who is right