Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Chimney questions

ob haller wrote:
On Apr 15, 6:42 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
I own a property that has a brick chimney that extends maybe 10 feet
or so
above where it comes through the roof at the back of the house. The
property that I own is a "twin" home -- meaning two single family
homes that
are attached with a common wall in between -- I own the home on one
side and
my neighbor owns the home on the other side.
. . . . .
The stucco is starting to deteriorate in a few places and the
chimney looks
like it may be leaning a little. So, I am going to have a chimney
person
look at it and tell me what he thinks it needs etc. It may just need
have the stucco repaired or redone or it may need a lot more than
that.

I assume you have no working fireplaces?

No fireplaces in either property.

If so it might be cheaper to upgrade furnace and hot water tanks in
both units and just remove the top of the chimney completely.

thats pretty popular around here, far cheaper than rebuilding and
relining, no flashing or chimney to maintain, lower utility bills,
with condensing furnace.

the roofer just drops he debris and bricks down the now no longer used
chimneys, plywood over the hoe once the chimney is below roof level.

many do this all the way to the ground, to get more interior space....

of course you have the other owner to deal with. but you should at
least price all the alternatives

Thanks for the ideas. I'm sure I won't be doing the option of eliminating
the chimney completely. Even if there is such a thing as a high efficiency
direct vent steam heat boiler (I don't know if there is), it would mean both
me and my neighbor getting new heaters and I know my neighbor will never do
that. In fact, most likely, whatever I have done with the chimney(s), I
will rpobably pay for the whole cost myself.

I know what you mean about the chimney removal process. I removed and old
no-longer-in-use chimney that way in another property. In that case, as I
worked from the top down I dropped everything down the chimney into a
walk-out basement. Then I had someone wheelbarrel it all out onto a trailer
and haul it away.