Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Chimney questions

hr(bob) wrote:
On Apr 16, 3:50 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
RogerT wrote:
I own a property that has a brick chimney that extends maybe 10 feet
or so above where it comes through the roof at the back of the
house.

. . . . . . The stucco is starting to deteriorate in
a few places and the chimney looks like it may be leaning a little.
So, I am going to have a chimney person look at it and tell me what
he thinks it needs etc. It may just need to have the stucco repaired
or redone or it may need a lot more than that. . . . . . .
What I am wondering is, if it turns out that the best thing to do is
to take down the existing chimney and replace it, are there other
types of chimney construction that could be used for the replacement
other than brick or block? . . . .

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I'll need to wait and see
what the chimney person tells me as to what my chimney may need,
what the options are if it needs to be taken down and rebuilt, etc.
I haven't found anything much on the Internet regarding non-masonry
(a.k.a. factory built) replacement chimneys.

Maybe all I'll need is to have the stucco around the chimney
repaired. Since the chimney extends fairly high above the roof line,
I have a hunch that this may end up costing more than I had hoped,
but I'll have to wait and see.

I won't be replacing the heating system or converting it from steam
to hot water (it's a one-pipe steam system now).

Please let us know the outcome of this.

I will do that.