Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drop ceiling or drywall ceiling?

On Apr 17, 12:52*am, Roy wrote:
On Apr 16, 1:39*pm, "CraigT" wrote:

I know everyone wants a drywall ceiling, but I have a walkout basement that
if I were to put a drywall ceiling in I'd have to put in 12 access panels
for electrical boxes, water shutoffs, vent dampers, etc. in an area 18' X
27'. * Here are couple pictures of what I've got in the way of *"stuff" I
need access to and what it might look like with all the panels. *Would I
just be better off going with a drop ceiling?

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ry1y6x.jpg

http://oi55.tinypic.com/334nj2f.jpg

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6047 (20110416) __________

http://www.eset.com

==
Having installed a drop ceiling for an entire basement, I would say
that it would be my choice. I used fiberglass drop panels and the
whole thing turned out great. There is a good choice of colors and
finishes available. One can use either the plastic or metal hangers
and rails. I chose the plastic...not only cheaper but easier to work
with. Follow the instructions...VERY IMPORTANT.

For the abitilty to have future access, I'd always go with the drop
ceiling, as long as you have the extra few inches to work with.
There's a lot of stuff running down there and you never know
when you will want to run an extra circuit, water line, gas line,
etc. With drop ceiling, that's easy.

I've been helping a friend who bought a 4 year old house where
the owner drywalled the basement. Already, it's limited options
of how we could add things without tearing up the drywall. And
the guy who did this job should go in the Guiness book. He
drywalled around everything. Like I think all of us here would
wall off the area that contains the furnace and water heater
and create a utility room with a door. But he drywalled around
all of that, around each duct, water pipe, vent pipe, etc. Must
have taken forever. And in other areas of the basement, there
are drops of 2 or 3" where he went around ceiling areas instead
of just dropping the whole area the 2 or 3" and making it uniform.