Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default Update: Best Wide Crown Manual Staple Gun?

On Apr 16, 11:33*am, Doug White wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote :

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 22:33:52 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Snip

The only wide-crown vaguely conventional staple guns I've found are a
Black & Decker and a Duo-Fast. *The latter got one glowing review on
Amazon, and the guy compared it to a couple of other narrow crown
guns, including the T50:

http://www.amazon.com/Duo-Fast-CS500.../dp/B000YSF80K

He claims it has much better penetration than the T50, so I think I'll
give it a try.

Give us a review after you have used it a while.

I got the Duo-Fast, and I like it! *It is easier to operate than my T50,
and has a couple of additional nice features. *It has a knob on top that
allows you to dial in the power needed for a given job, and it has a
mechanism so you can pop it open to clear a jam easily. *With the power
cranked all the way up, it gives significantly better penetration than
the T50, with less firing effort.

The Duo-Fast staples are "chisel point", which means the tips are just
ground to a wedge, parallel to the stack. *I'm used to the T50 "divergent
point" staples, where each staple has a sharp point cut 90 degrees from
the orientation of the points on the chisel point staples. *Each side is
cut with the point in the opposite direction, so they tend to splay as
they go in. *This is supposed to give better holding power. *I originally
thought the divergent point ones would also have better penetration
through the aluminum flashing I was working with. *Arrow sells wide crown
divergent point staples for Duo-Fast guns, although the box doesn't list
the CS5000. *I bought some to try, and they seem to work OK, although the
very first one jammed (it may also have been the last of the chisel
points from before). *In any event, the quick jam clearing feature worked
very nicely, and I didn't have a problem after that. *Penetration of the
two styles of staples was pretty much indistinguishable. *I didn't try
prying them out, so I don't know if the divergent points hold appreciably
better. *I doubt I could tell the difference with just a screw driver.

When stapling flashing to soft pine, the variable power feature was very
nice. *I could easily adjust it so that the bottom of the staple was just
flat & in contact against the flashing, or crank it up so they were
driven flush across the top (which stresses the aluminum, and is probably
weaker, although esthetically nicer). *If I hit a harder or softer piece
of pine, I could tweak the power to suit.

All in all, I consider it a significant improvement over my old T50, and
it has become my staple gun of choice for future projects.

Doug White

Good to know.
Thanks
Karl