Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default foam vs. fiber insulation

On Apr 17, 4:13*am, wrote:
Hello all,

Looking for opinions on crawl space insulation. This is for an old
rent house on block and pad foundation. I am considering either R13 or
1 1/2" rigid foam (vapor barrier on one side and radiant barrier on
the other).

Fiber seems to have better cumulative R-value. However, I don't know
if bugs and crawlies nesting in it will be an issue. *I can get the 1
1/2 for about 10 dollars a piece. Fiber will let me do this
incrementally as time allows.

Trying to get a feel on what is the better option.

thanks
richard

If you have the space, go for the cheap option (which will be thicker)

The ridgid board is more expensive so should be used only where the is
a space restriction or some other problem like it needing to be walked
on.

Rodents are not a problem in mineral fibre, more so in natural fibres.

More time and care is need to install the board. Very important not
to leave any gaps.

"Crawlies" get everywhere whatever you have.